Many people around me regularly complain about their bloated stomach and the positive news is that this condition can be usually treated from the moment we have discovered its cause.
Feeling bloated all the time can be quite unpleasant especially in women as it affects their self -esteem and the way they feel about their appearance.
When a person is feeling bloated the doctor is usually looking for this usual conditions
- Irregular meal-times
- Intestinal yeast overgrowth
- Gluten sensitivity or celiac disease
- Insulin resistance
- Poor food combining
- Intolerance of certain types of food
- Lack of digestive enzymes (including lactose intolerance)
Other causes of dysbiosis – bacterial proliferation or parasites in the small intestines.
Certain conditions can be tested for – gluten sensitivity, food intolerance, insulin, celiac resistance, and in other cases the doctor heals the patient led by his/her symptoms and history of the disease.
1. Irregular meal-times
- We need to have regular and consistent meal times so our bodies could function properly, and our digestive system will work better as well. Have breakfast within 1 hour after waking up, a regularly timed mid-day lunch, and dinner before 7 pm. Consume mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks if you want.
2. Intestinal yeast overgrowth
- Intestinal yeast overgrow is a quite common condition, and in most cases, it comes as a result of prolonged antibiotic use. And these are the most common reasons – excessive use of antibiotics in the childhood against ear or tonsil infections, using antibiotics against acne in a longer period of time(tetracycline or Minocin), as well as for persistent urinary tract infections. Overuse of antibiotics can lead to changes of the digestive flora which allows yeasts to win the fight against good bacteria.
3. Gluten sensitivity or celiac disease
- Gluten intolerance and celiac disease (a more serious form of gluten-intolerance) affect more and more people every day, and the great changes in wheat over the past 50 years is mostly the reason, as well as a regular intake of grain products. A lot of people with gluten sensitivity have problems with bloating, constipation, with or without gassiness or diarrhea.
- You can run some tests for gluten intolerance and celiac and many people do these tests, but even those who have negative results, feel much better without consuming products with gluten. People with a low level of vitamin B12 who are not on a vegan or vegetarian diet can suffer from gluten intolerance.